How to Apply Online
All applications for both VISTA Summer Associate and full-year VISTA positions must be completed through MyAmeriCorps. Below are instructions to ensure your application is completed correctly and competitively.
Please check back in spring 2019 for a list of VISTA Summer Associate positions!
Application: Basic Information
In the Basic Information tab, please note the following:
- Your name must match the name on your driver’s license.
- Indicate your preferred method of communication.
Application: Motivational Statement
In the Motivational Statement tab, please note the following:
- Explain why you are applying for AmeriCorps VISTA service and how this relates to your personal and professional goals (250-500 words).
- Use this space as an opportunity to share more about you and your desire to join AmeriCorps VISTA.
Application: Skills and Experience
In the Skills and Experience tab please take note of the following:
- Describe in detail how you have acquired and applied each skill (200 characters per section).
- Do not simply list work or volunteer experiences; cite information relevant to each skill.
- Please list any relevant training, certification, language, technical skills, etc.
In the Education tab, please note the following:
- Select the highest level of education you will have achieved by the time you start service. For example, if you are currently enrolled in college but will graduate before beginning service, select “College Graduate”. If you are currently enrolled, applying for a summer position, and will not have graduated before beginning service, select “Some College”.
- List all post-secondary institutions you have attended with details.
Application: Community Service
For the Community Service tab, please note the following:
- Describe what service means to you and what you hope to achieve through your service (250-500 words).
- List your most recent volunteer experiences and explain your responsibilities in detail.
- List hours per month for each volunteer position.
- Don’t only list your volunteer experiences in your written statement. Even if mentioned in your statement, list all volunteer experiences.
For the Employment tab, please note the following:
- Explain your reasons for leaving each work position.
- Include all employment, even if it is not directly relevant to the AmeriCorps VISTA position.
- List number of hours per week for each work position.
- Explain any employment gaps of six months or longer.
Application: Criminal History Questionnaire
For the Criminal History Questionnaire tab, please note the following:
- Don’t include minor traffic violations (ex. speeding or parking ticket).
- Do include anything that would show up on a state or federal background check (ex. petty misdemeanors). Additional information may be requested.
- Including minor crimes does not automatically disqualify you for service, but omission of minor crimes will disqualify you from service.
For the References tab, please note the following:
- Appropriate references include: work or volunteer supervisors, teachers, counselors, coaches, clergy, etc. Must be a supervisory relationship in a work, education or volunteer setting.
- Inappropriate references include: family members, friends, coworkers, classmates, peers and informal relationships.
- Alert your references that they will receive an email from AmeriCorps and reminder emails to complete the reference questionnaire.
Having trouble with the application? Contact the National Service Hotline (1-800-942-2677) or Amanda Whittemore, Initiative Foundation AmeriCorps VISTA Program Specialist (320-631-2009, firstname.lastname@example.org)